Prospectus and Annotated Bibliography

Topic: How Post-Trumatic stress Disorder in Vietnam Veterans in, The Things They carried.

Text: The Things They carired by Tim O’Brien

Prospectus:

My research paper will be on the  post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Vietnam War Veterans. I want to talk about  the novel The Things They Carried, by Tim O’Brien of how people handle their feelings and emotions in times of difficulty and hardship.  Specifically, I will talk about the  pattern discussed in Tim O’Briens novel  of  one’s manner in which humans face the rough emotions they have to carry throughout their life. In order to support this theme, I will analyze the responses of different veterans who faced emotional stress during the Vietnam war. Using these responses, I will compare them to those who deserted the army and escaped in order to start a new life. They had to abandon their families and friends and migrated to neighboring countries to start a new life.

In my essay, I will argue about the soldiers who fought in Vietnam war and those who chose to start a new life by escaping. I will compare and contrast the lives between the two groups and how it affected them. For example, soldiers who were drafted to Vietnam had to go through a lot of conflicts such as emotional stress from the war which is discussed in the novel, The Things They Carried. The novel provides a first hand experience of different soldiers including O’Brien himself. By using textbooks and online sources, I will support my argument with details and evidence of the soldiers who went to the war and those who did not.

References:

1. Interview with Tim O’Brien 33. Web. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/25305144>.

The website is an interview with Tim O’Brien and it discusses how Tim was drafted to the Vietnam war during his early life. Although he had the chance of deserting the army and his friends and family, he chose not to and eventually sent to fight in Vietnam. By using this interview of O’Brien, I will compare and contrast about the soldiers who fought in Vietnam and those who escaped to nearby country.

2.””Unraveling the Deeper Meaning”: Exile and the Embodied Poetics of Displacement in Tim O’Brien’s “The Things They Carried”” Web. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/1208922>.

This website talks about the novel “The things they carried” by Tim O’Brien. It supports my theme of the emotional stress the veterans in Vietnam had to go through. It supports my theme specially because it demonstrates the afterward results of emotional stress. Although the veterans escaped their life, they have to bear the emotional stress throughout their life, which is what is mostly discussed in the website.

3.”Truth and Fiction in Tim O’Brien’s “If I Die in a Combat Zone” and “The Things They Carried”” Web. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/25112634>.

2 Responses to Prospectus and Annotated Bibliography

1. P. Burger says:

Roobina,
    Because you didn’t email this to me, I’m going to have to print this out and hand you my comments tomorrow in class. Remind me to give you my comments.

2. Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and say I genuinely enjoy reading through your posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same
    subjects? Many thanks!